Ubuntu Tweak 0.3.1 just released this morning which includes a check new version feature, which isnt needed if you use the repository below and a few bug fixes. More info from the developers site here
Along time ago I did a quick review of Ubuntu Tweak here and now I see that TualatriX has significantly updated it with many user interface and bug fixes and added 1 hot must have feature which gives you the ability to create shortcut hotkeys to your favorite applications, I setup alt-ctrl-del to open gnome-system-monitor and the terminal to I can open both these with a keypress.
Well what is Ubuntu Tweak?
Ubuntu Tweak is an application designed to configure Gnome in Ubuntu and provides features that would otherwise require you to edit config files and use gconf to edit some internal settings.
It provides many useful desktop and system options that the default desktop environment doesn't provide.
At present, It is only designed for Ubuntu GNOME Desktop, and often follows the newest Ubuntu distribution.
Ubuntu Tweak is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under th
e terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foun
Features of Ubuntu Tweak
- View of Basic System Information(Distribution, Kernel, CPU, Memory, etc.)
- GNOME Session Control
- Auto Start Program Control
- Show/Hide and Change Splash screen
- Show/Hide desktop icons or Mounted Volumes
- Show/Hide/Rename Computer, Home, Trash icon or Network icon
- Tweak Metacity Window Manager’s Style and Behavior
- Compiz Fusion settings, Screen Edge Settings, Window Effects Settings, Menu Effect Settins
- GNOME Panel Settings
- Nautilus Settings
- Advanced Power Management Settings
- System Security Settings
- Ability to Create your own Shortcut Hotkeys
- & Much more!
Howto Install Ubuntu Tweak:
Simply Click here and download the file or add the repository via System->Administration->Software Sources then click third party repositories and copy/paste these lines:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/tualatrix/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/tualatrix/ubuntu hardy main
Reload the repository and simply click here to install within your browser if you have apturl installed
You can also search synaptic for ubuntu-tweak or:
sudo apt-get update && apt-get install ubuntu-tweak